Monday, September 27, 2010

Milly Inspired Chain Cardigan DIY Tutorial


Left: Milly Chain Cardigan, $367,  Right: DIY Version, materials = $18

Here's another fun and easy DIY project on my favorite type of clothing - the cardigan.  I really loved the chain detailing seen on Milly cardi and set off to makeover one of my plain black cardis.

Tutorial and more pics after the jump...
What you'll need:
  • Cardigan 
  • 2 yards Matching Trim - I used black satin trim (make sure you get the washable kind bc the decorative spooled ribbon will fall apart upon washing)
  • Matching thread
  • 2 yards Chain Trim
  • Invisible nylon thread

The first thing to do is pin the matching trim along the buttons, collar, and button holes.  I'm adding trim for visual interest and to give the heavy chain a more stable backing for attachment.  Sew in place with matching thread and you'll get something that looks like this:


Then using the matching trim as a guide, hand sew every other chain link (I secured with three loops each) with the invisible thread.  This is an easy step but it is a little time consuming.  Once you get to the end, snip off excess chain with wire cutters.

And voila!  For $17, you get the general look of a $367 one.



7 comments:

  1. oh wow! i am always impressed. looks really nice and a great replica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I saw an inspired chain cardigan at H&M too but it was still pricey at about $40. It must take a lot of patience to hand sew the chain on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I didn't think about adding the ribbon trim first but it makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! You must have extraordinary patience. I'd love to learn how to sew and make my own pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies :) It definitely took a little bit of time but it was my project for the week. Next up are beading embellished long-sleeved tees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time on your blog...like this one as well as the red sweater with the trim...definitely doing one of them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...