Sunday, November 25, 2012

Buttons to Jewelry DIY Tutorial, Part 1

After meeting Ping the other week, I got to explore a 4-story fabric store in the city and found these gorgeous buttons.  I was originally planning on turning it into a pin, but decided on making a necklace instead.  I should also note that though these buttons were expensive, I'm guessing they are just very cute replica buttons.  The store didn't specify one way or the other and none of the buttons there are labeled with the designer.


What I Used:
  • Button
  • Pearls
  • Stringing material
  • Ribbon
  • Jump rings large enough to fit the ribbon
  • Crimp beads 

Materials

1.  Plan out your design by laying it out
I love this little design board - so handy!  I think mine was only $1.50 and you should be able to find it at any jewelry supply or craft store.

After playing around with it, I decided to forgo the all-around double pearl strand for an asymmetrical look.  Does this look off (below)?

2.  String it as planned above and loop your stringing material onto a jump ring.  Secure with a crimp bead.  Do this for each side.

3.  Knot a ribbon to each jump ring.  Add a small dollop of glue to ensure your knot doesn't unravel.

4.  I trimmed my ribbon ends at an angle and then sealed the ends with Fray Check.  Clear nail polish will also work.

5.  You're finished!  I love ribbons closures because they allow you to customize the length as you please.

Long option for wearing

Shorter option

Stay tuned for part 2 next week and a Black Friday recap later this week :)

Hope everyone in the US had a wonderful holiday weekend!  I ate SO much.  What did you eat - traditional turkey or something else?

We went out for pho & banh mi for lunch and then stayed home for hot pot.  Yum!

23 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea! Love it. Does those buttons come smaller...would make cute earrings too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous that you and Ping are in the same city! :p

    The necklace came out great...I think the two and one strand make it interesting.

    I agree...so full...I am not used to eating like I did these last four days! We did the traditional turkey at my sister-in-law's. I contributed by bringing corn bread stuffing and chocolate cake using Godiva chocolate...soooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, SPG. Gorgeous necklace that should make its way to your Etsy shop (just sayin')or otherwise I am going to have to DIY it myself! I stuffed myself with "Thanksgiving with a twist" food that my husband cooked for the whole family. I love that his big passion is food, because he cooks every night, and very well, if I may say so. I wish I had been in SF for the holiday, it feels much more wintery up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet! Thank you! You're so lucky to have a husband who cooks! Mine just "makes" cereal, i.e. pours it in a bowl with some milk lol

      Delete
  5. are u allowed to share what this store is called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, didn't think anyone would be interested - it's Britex on Geary

      Delete
  6. This is so cute! Did you just string the button in with the pearls? Does the back of the button have two little loops or just one?

    Banh mi! I miss that so much, haven't found a good one here in Austin. There was a great Vietnamese hole-in-the-wall we'd love to eat at in downtown Oakland.

    Where you at Britex on Geary? I am just learning to sew and therefore never really went there (I went to school in the Richmond in SF as a kid). But I think now if I went, I could spend days there.

    How are you adjusting to life in the Bay Area? Last time I went to visit, I was missing it so much, but felt like a total hillbilly when I gawked at the price of gas, LOL!

    Can't wait to see your Black Friday scores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janki - thank you! Yep, you can go ahead and just stick your stringing material right through the button - this one happened to have kind of a tunnel-like back opening vs. the traditional shank but either would work :)

      It was Britex! They have SO MANY buttons among other things - I loved it! Not to say love too many times, but I love the Bay Area. There's so much food! We definitely spend more time eating out here than we did in Ohio.

      Delete
  7. These are awesome!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous necklace and love the ribbon tie necklace! I love how the necklace looks so expensive in comparison to the cost to make it! :D
    We had a traditional Thanksgiving and ate so much food. MMmmm Banh mi and hot pot sounds so good right about now. :) xoxo, Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I have so many buttons that I throw into a box, now I can make some use out of them. :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool necklace and so pretty! Love that lil design board too! And pho and banh mi sound delish! We had turkey one night and hot pot the other. Best of both worlds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the necklace! Where did you get those buttons from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're from the Britex physical store. Here's the site: http://www.britexfabrics.com, but I did not see them online.

      Delete
  13. That necklace is so chic! And looks fun to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome idea! I love that design board.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute and creative idea to use buttons on necklaces... I love it!! :) Can't wait to see what else you make!

    Love, S
    http://shamelesslyoverdressed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...