Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mom's Kitchen: Salted Egg Yolk Crab Recipe

On one of my visits to Hong Kong as a kid, we once tried Salted Egg Yolk Crab (called Golden Crab there) and LOVED it.  Fast forward a couple decades to San Francisco where I delighted in finding it at Hakka Restaurant.  Mom, I can never say enough about this woman, decided to find a way to make her own version because she knew how much I craved it.

Prep Time: ~20 minutes (not counting the crab chopping time)

Cook Time: ~10 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 Dungeness Crab 
  • 2 Salted Eggs - steamed 
  • Corn Starch
  • Cooking Oil 
  • Salt and Pepper
Directions:
  • Heat up your wok on medium with about 3/4 cup of oil 
  • Let's assume your crab has already been chopped (sorry, squeamish)
  • Clean the crab and lightly dust with corn starch (enough to cover all the crab pieces) and salt.  The coating should be very light - not like a batter.  This is enough to give it a bit of crispness and allows the yolk to stick.

  • Toss the crab into the wok and let cook a few minutes.  Do not stir at this time or all the coating will fall off.

  • Flip after cooking for a few minutes


  • Once fully cooked, place crab on a rack to allow any excess oil to drip off


  • In a separate pan, heat up a little more oil on medium
  • Place your 2 steamed salted egg yolks (this won't work with regular egg yolks) into a pan and mash



  • Toss the crab into the yolk mixture and coat.  
  • Once coated, you're done.  It's time to eat!



Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you SPG's mom! I've never had egg yolk crab, but it's been stuck in my mind since I saw it on your blog (looks so delicious!) I will bookmark this page for future cooking experiments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please continue to post more easy receipt like this. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That was sweet of your mom to recreate this for you. :) Crab is one of my favorites! I have never tried cooking with it, though. I suspect some kind of crab cake will be my first try.

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...